History

Grace Episcopal School was founded in 1954 as St. Christopher’s Episcopal Day School by Grace Episcopal Church under the leadership of Rector John Maury Allin, later to become the Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church, and June Strausser, serving as the Head of School for nearly three decades. In August of 1985, St. Christopher’s Episcopal Day School was renamed Grace Episcopal School (GES) to emphasize its relationship to the Parish of Grace. From its inception, St. Christopher’s and later GES has emphasized and nurtured the education of the whole individual. A fine arts program, a physical education program, a language arts program, a music program, religious education and chapel, community service programs—all enjoyed by each grade at varying appropriate levels— demonstrate and complement GES’s commitment to this ideal.